Monday, August 22, 2011

So, what are you going to school for?

I have been getting lots of questions in regards to what I am going to school for here in Melbourne.  I want to explain my program a little bit better, in order to satiated the minds of the inquiring.
Initially, I didn't really want to speak of my program very much.  The program itself is pretty cool, I'm just not very comfortable explaining that I am in a doctoral program.  I haven't quite understood why I feel that way either.  Maybe, because in my mind it sounds a bit hoity-toity???  I think that I just want to keep a certain level of humility to it all.  Growing up, I always did pretty well in school.  My parents were always very proud of me and celebrated my endeavors, but I appreciated the fact that they never felt the need to boast to others about my scholastic achievements. 
I usually just tell people I'm going to graduate school.  People typically assume it's for a master's (which is fine) but when they ask directly if it is for a master's degree, I don't want them to have a false impression.  For me, earning this degree is about meeting a personal goal, so I am most definitely okay with not discussing my program at length.
After three years (assuming everything goes according to plan, that is...)  I will have earned a Doctorate of Education by Research.  Common initials that I'll be able to put after my name are: D.Ed. or Ed.D.  Or I can just put "Dr." in front of my name.  In all truth though, I think I will always be most comfortable being called "Ms. Courtney."  I see no need for fancy titles, before or after my name.
A common question I get asked is: What is the difference between a Doctorate of Education and a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)?  To start off, both are recognized as terminal degrees.  In other words, both are the highest type of degree that can be obtained.  The major difference is that the Ph.D. is more research-based, and could potentially prepare one better for a career in academia at the university level, by either teaching, conducting research, or both.  An Ed.D. is more of a professional doctorate, meaning that it could potentially be more "user-friendly" in terms of returning to the K-12 classroom (it's less research than the Ph.D., and involves more practice-based learning than the Ph.D.).  I hummed and hawed over what I wanted, and at this point in my life, I want to return the classroom when I am finished with school.  I love it there.  It is where I come alive and teaching small children is what makes me so happy.  Therefore, it made more sense for me to go the Ed.D. route.  However, if I did change my mind, an Ed.D. would still qualify me in some capacity to work at the collegiate level.  
In order to obtain my Ed.D., I will be attending school/researching full-time for three years (note that three years is also the time it takes to obtain a Ph.D., at least at the University of Melbourne.)
I'm currently in my semester of coursework.  The large part of this semester is theory, which I honestly love, love, love!  I will take a couple more courses after this semester, then it is on to the research/writing of the thesis: the meat and potatoes of the degree, if you will.
The path for Ed.D. candidates and Ph.D. candidates is essentially the same.  We all need to secure a supervisor.  We all need to clear ethics.  We all need to conduct original research.  We all need to present the thesis to a panel and hope it is accepted.  We all may be digging an early grave with this stressful venture!  (Only kidding about that last part.)
The major difference is that my thesis (note: "thesis" is used here in Australia, whereas many American institutions use "dissertation") need only be 55,000 words long.  A Ph.D. candidate must meet 80,000 words.  However, I wonder if after meeting 55,000 words, 25,000 more doesn't seem like much more to go.
I haven't really narrowed in on what I'll be researching yet.  Initially, I wanted to study multicultural curriculum and its correlation to student achievement.  However, after revisiting poststructural, postcolonial, and critical social theories (this time through the lens of educational theory and policy) it dawned on me just how much I missed feminist studies.  Now I'm learning towards studying gender or class issues in modern day classrooms, through the lens of neo-Marxism or postmodern theory.  [And yes, I understand that these two are somewhat opposing viewpoints, but lately I have been studying a ton of Foucault, wondering if a postmodernist angle is the way to go.]
I have really lucked out in terms of obtaining a supervisor.  My supervisor is so amazing and I could not feel more supported, both academically and personally.  We both have similar backgrounds in regards to public school teaching, tertiary education, educational policy interests, and a shared knowledge of feminist paradigm.
So yeah, that's where I am at with everything for the time being.  I'm still adjusting to the idea of being a student, as first and foremost, I consider myself a "teacher on leave."  I cannot separate myself from my identity as a teacher.  Those that teach and totally love it know exactly what I am talking about.  I am trying my best to take the focus off "not teaching" right now, as I miss it so much!  I know I will go back to it eventually.  For now, it's all about living in the present and basking in the glories that are academia and Australia!


3 comments:

  1. Good for you Kirsten! It's actually really interesting that you blogged about this because after becoming FB friends with you and seeing you were going to school in Australia for a doctorate, I was thinking of asking you about your plans. I was curious about what a doctoral degree is all about; what do you learn and then what do you do after you finish? I wish you the best of luck with your studies and research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you! You should be proud and excited about what you are doing. We all know how intelligent you are (spoke about or not :)) and wish you all the best! I know that your students will miss you, no doubt, and you them, but just think about what you will have to give them 3 years from now. Lucky students! Looking forward to 'following' you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! I am feeling the love all the way from here... It's so nice to be in touch with you both on a regular basis! :)
    And you... if you ever get the urge to come down under, you've always got a place to stay in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete