Monday, August 8, 2011

People have bad days... even in Australia

I would like to write Alexander a letter and assure him that, yes, people have bad days... even in Australia.
Surely you remember him as the protagonist from the Judith Viorst children's book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, yes?  If not, I'll familiarize you now.  The story goes as such:  Alexander is having an awful day.  One bad thing after another keeps occurring, and he threatens to move to Australia throughout the whole book, in order to remove himself from his unfortunate mishaps.  Sorry Alexander, you are prone to bad days anywhere in the world.
Here are my woes:
I've got friends in my closet... I just discovered that two of my most favorite cashmere sweaters have been munched on my moths. I'm crawling around in my skin just thinking about it! Like, I don't mind bugs that mind their own business, but bugs that invade my space (moths, bed begs, lice, etc.) skeve me out to the point I feel physically ill.  The good news is, I'll be able to darn the holes and I found matching wool yarn.  However, I'll need to get this infestation under control before I can mend the sweaters.
So right now, I am in the process of completely fumigating my entire closet.  The worst part is, I need to wash every single piece of clothing... and guess who doesn't have a washing machine! So, later today (and probably tomorrow too) I will need to schlep all my clothes to the laundromat, which is off High Street.  I'm learning that cedar wood and moth pheromone traps are somewhat difficult to obtain here.  Add that to the fact that I am still getting used to where to go for certain necessities. [Side example:  Back home, you would go to Target for every single cleaning product imaginable.  Here, it's the grocery store.]  Luckily, I have been able to find camphor and lavender.  My wardrobe smells a bit like granny's closet right now, but I would rather have that smell around than the critters.  The amount of time it takes is a bit discouraging too... I have enough to do for school right now, but saving all my clothes is obviously a priority, so I must do that first.  I'll need to leave for the laundromat soon, as they are only open until 5:00 pm. This is quite common for most businesses here, save for grocery stores and restaurants.
Furniture shopping has become the bane of my existence.  Yesterday, we went to a part of town filled with furniture stores and mattress stores, lots of selection, including a few stores with reasonably-priced items.  Store #1:  We chose a bed with a base and a reasonably priced bedroom set.  The salesman told us we could set up a finance plan.  So, we sat down to iron-out the details.  He then mentions, "Oops... looks like you need to spend a minimum of $1,000 to get the finance plan."  So, we go back to look at the showroom and decide on a couch as well, meeting the minimum.  Then we are told, "It looks like we are out of the couch... it'll arrive in about eight weeks (!)"  Feeling exhausted at this point, we said, "Okay, fine..."  We begin to settle, when we are told by the manager that there is no time to set up a finance plan today... they are just too busy and can we come back tomorrow?  They are only open from 9am to 5pm (Justin's work hours).  All this is compounded by the fact that we can only get there via public transportation, so the times might not exactly sync up.  An hour into this process, we decide that we don't want to deal with the store and all their addendums anymore, so we leave.
We go into another store and ask if they have financing plans.  Yes, they do!  A saleswoman helps us in finding a bed.  We try a bunch out and then decide on one we really like.  We are sick of looking and are feeling defeated.  Then we set up to finance.  As we get the ball rolling, we are asked, "You are Australian permanent residents, right?"  The answer is "no."  Rejected, again.
After several hours of searching, we leave empty-handed and very disappointed.
It's getting to the point where this place still doesn't feel like home.  I don't mean that to sound overdramatic, although I know it does.  I've found that it is just really difficult to feel settled in when you don't have a bed to sleep in or a couch to sit on.  I know it'll take some time to acquire possessions.  I've found that having a place to sit was something I had always taken for granted. In order to get through this, I must keep this is mind: If you view everything as a learning experience, you'll always find that something was gained afterward, even through bouts of discomfort.  I think I'll enjoy furniture more after not owning any for about six or seven weeks now! Looks like I'll just have to shine on a little longer.
Hang in there, Alexander.  We'll both make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment