Sunday, June 5, 2011

Such a lilla gammal!

Here we are: four days of work left after this weekend.
Do I tell people I am student now?  It would break my heart to say I'm not a teacher.  I think I will say I am a "teacher on leave."  I like that better.  Being a teacher really is such a huge part of my identity.  I venture to guess that most teachers would define themselves partly as their job.  It's unavoidable, but at least it is something lovely.
I finally told the children yesterday that I would be leaving.  Some had questions, but most had stories and tried to relate, which I love (that's a child's way of processing, for you non-kiddo folk.)  I told the kids about how when opportunities come, you have to take them.  I explained that if they have opportunities to visit other places, they have to take them because different experiences are what makes life so amazing.  One of the children told flat out exclaimed, "Wow!  You really are a world traveler!"  Such a lilla gammal! [Swedish term for when a child acts/says things like a adult.  Literally, it means "little old."  I picked up this great phrase from some Swedes that I became friends with while traveling through Cambodia a couple of years ago.]
Another student told me that she knew just how I felt... her family will be visiting Iowa for a couple of days this summer for a soccer tournament and she was excited to visit a new place.  Had to smile at that one.
Perhaps the best advice I got was, "Planes can be hot inside, Ms. Courtney.  I think you better bring some water to drink in case you get thirsty."
Man, if only you could bottle up all that sweetness and caring that is generated from first graders.  They are amazing little people!!!
Anyway, suppose I better wrap this up.  I have some storage tasks to complete today.  Unless you've taught elementary school (or know someone that has) you have no clue how much stuff we accumulate for the classroom.  I don't want to toss it either.  Honestly, if I had to estimate, I reckon that I've spent about $2,000 of my own money on my classroom.  Luckily, my parents are awesome and are willing to store my stuff.  I have probably happily given away half of my teacher belongings to other teachers, which is totally cool.  However, there is just some stuff I want to hang on to, like my books, easel, classroom posters, etc.  You just never know when you are going to need that stuff again.
So yeah, today I will go out to their place for some of that storing fun!  A gallon of iced tea should be enough motivation for me to complete today's task in the sweltering heat of the rafters.  Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment