Sunday, October 16, 2011

Reflections from the First Three Months

As of October 14th, I have been in Australia for three months.
Some thoughts...

1. I haven't been homesick yet.  Obviously, I miss my family, friends and all my old haunts and routines; but the physically ill feeling of being away (the one where you've got a giant lump in your throat and rocks in your stomach) hasn't struck me as it has in the past.  Perhaps it won't?  I feel pretty connected to home, actually, through Skype and Facebook in particular.
We are doing fairly well here, in terms of staying social, especially considering that I don't have a ton of class time within my program to meet people and Justin works from home.  I've made a few friends at school.  Also, I gotta give huge props to our dear friend Elizabeth for being the queen of organizing fabulous get-togethers.  We've met so many great people through her... it's nice to have new friends!

2. I've got the mechanics of this city's public transportation down, even without it being listed in Google maps. For someone like me that's directionally challenged, this is an accomplishment.  It is a good feeling when you can navigate... I'm working on the bike paths next.

3. It doesn't even feel like I'm living abroad in some ways.  This place has quickly become my home (again) and it just kinda feels like this is just how things are for my life.  I realize that I haven't articulated that very well.  I guess a different way to put it is that I am so focused on the present and making the most of my time here, that I am soaking it all in and not really thinking about not living in the United States.

4. Patterns in everyday nature and weather-type stuff are now completely normalized for me.  For example, I know that if it's raining, but there's a tiniest break in the clouds, it'll probably be sunny at some point, even if only for 10 minutes.  I know that the magpies tend to do most of their singing at sunrise and sunset, but the large crows will squawk all day long.  If the weather is sunny and 60 degrees F, it'll actually feel like 75 degrees F, since the sun is so powerful here.

5. It is so lovely to have a break from the intense social and political climate in the United States.  Before I left, things appeared to be so incredibly tense and angry.  It appears that things have not improved much, surmising through my daily exposure to American, British and Australian news outlets.  Socially, in Australia, as in most Westernized nations, it is expected that people look out and care for each other.  Historically, American culture has a very individualist outlook, which I believe has shaped our national social policies, sense of social contract and civic duty.  These statements are not meant to incite anger nor ignite further debate; I am simply stating what is noticeable to me, an American expat, living in a more socialized country.

6. It's fantastic to be able to go to the doctor and not have to worry about the bill.  I have no issue discussing numbers here.  If you cannot get private health care coverage through your employer here in Australia, universal health care coverage here is subsidized by the government.  What is this figure that we pay, as I am a foreign student?  In order to insure myself and however many dependents I have, the cost is $45 per month, per family and all necessary medical and preventative treatment is 100% covered.  I went to the doctor's for a consultation last week to obtain my medication.  The total cost of the exam (which again, I won't pay for) was $35.
I was informed, however, that my insurance company would not be covering my medication.  First reaction: Panic.  Second reaction: Remembering that health care here is less expensive and to calm down.  The cost of my medication without any insurance coverage in Australia is cheaper than the cost of my medication in the United States with insurance coverage, by more than half the price..  In Australia, the medication is $3.25 per month, whereas in the U.S., the medication is $7 per month.  It's good to live in a place with affordable health care and never have to stress about medical costs.
And like my thoughts for number 5, I'm not interested in having a dialogue on this blog about American health care reform.  I am simply stating the facts as to where the differences lie between two countries.

7. The flow of traffic has become schematic for me.  (Although, I am certain that having lived in Australia and the UK before, in addition to traveling around Britain and Africa multiple times, this idea of traffic on the left becomes more normalized for me each time.)  I was watching an American movie last week and there was a scene with driving.  I thought to myself, That looks wrong seeing the cars drive on the right side of the road!  I believe this is what they call assimilation, ha ha!

8. I'm now used to not tipping.  Before any servers/former servers out there have a heart attack, know that the minimum wage here is considered livable.  I think the minimum wage is officially $15.50 per hour, but most service occupations tend to pay around $20-$23 per hour.  Justin and I used to a) feel so weird about not tipping and b) think that dining out was so expensive, until we got used to the fact that the tax is already included in the price (so a $16 veggie burger is actually $16) and that you don't tip.  It all seems much more comparable now, even though in general, Australia is a more expensive place to dine out.

9. I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that it's autumn in the northern hemisphere.  I'm seeing all these lovely family pictures of Americans on Facebook, with kids playing in the leaves and everything and all I can think is It's finally starting to warm up and it appears to be light for most of the day!  My birthday is in three weeks and I keep forgetting (NOT because I'm getting older... ha ha!) but because for all my life, I've celebrated my birthday in the fall.  I most definitely cannot wait to see what Christmas in the middle of summer will be like!

10. My accent is not changing, but certain words that come out of my mouth are, without meaning to. Some words come out sounding funny, like they are a hybrid of American and Australian accents.  Some expressions seem natural after hearing them so much.  Most popular (other than no worries)? You're alright, reckon, ta, Good on you and How you going?  I know that when I return to the States, I'll probably end up sounding a little strange to some, using all this Aussie lingo.  I'll just view it as an opportunity to educate others.



No comments:

Post a Comment