Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Greatest Hits of the Last Seven Weeks Part 2 (AKA November 2011)

November 2011, in a nutshell-

What I found out: The home button on my iPhone hadn't been working properly for a couple of months.  I tried taking it into Apple, where the "Genius Bar" should be renamed the "Wait Forever Bar."  The disorganization was maddening as well.  Frustrated, I left.  Later that night, my phone hit the hardwood floor.  What do you know?  That drop fixed the problem! Perhaps Apple should put that in their troubleshooting ideas.

Melbourne Cup Day came and went on November 3rd.  MCD is a Victorian holiday.  Justin had the day off work.  Rather than attend the horse races or a fabulous equestrian-themed fete, we went shopping.  What a good reason to have the day off!

I celebrated my 33rd birthday by playing barefoot bowls (lawn bowls) and going out for Japanese with Justin, Elizabeth, Monia and Andrew.  Bowls is a fabulous game and Aussie tradition.  Each player gets two bowls (balls that look like larger bocce balls).  The object of the game is to roll your bowls closest to a small yellow ball called the "jack" or the "kitty."   You only need one hand to play, so you can have a cold beer in the other one at the same time.  Brilliant!


School's out... for summer: I turned in my last paper towards the end of November.  What a good feeling.  Only 2.5 years left!  The stress level has decreased somewhat, as I have received good news regarding tuition for the remainder of my course.  Now I just need to learn to calm down about school and the stress it brings.  I've really forgotten how crazy attending school can be.  I've started listening to meditation apps and attending Buddhist meditation.  I most certainly think it helps.  I just need to be better about keeping up with meditation as a daily routine.

Thanksgiving was wonderful this year!  We spent Thanksgiving with our American friend, Chris and her husband Wolf and daughter Kendra.  Stacey and Elizabeth were able to attend as well, having their very first Thanksgiving.  I can't remember who said it, but someone at the table mentioned that a holiday that revolves around good food, good company and reflections of thankfulness is the best kind of holiday.  What a great sentiment.  Although I missed seeing my family over Thanksgiving, I didn't feel homesick because of the wonderful company.




Lost talent rediscovered: I can't say that baking is a new hobby.  Truthfully, I began baking in middle school.  On the last day of eighth grade and through my senior year, I would make a large batch of cookies once or twice a year and bring them to school to share with everyone.  However, once I got to college, I stopped baking and never really got back into it.  Things have changed now that I have more free time.  My rediscovered interest in baking stems from the facts that some of my favorite foods are not readily available in Australia, the foods don't taste the same or they are too expensive.  An award-winning bagel shop in Fitzroy makes bagels, but they taste like grocery store bagels.  There's a bakery in South Melbourne that makes and sells pies (like cherry pies, apple pies, etc.) but at a price of $75 per pie.  I wish I were joking! Anyway, this has become a blessing in disguise, as I have found baking to be a relaxing way to pass the time and get a little creative.

I think I'm making bagels...

Oh! The pretzel, per J's request! They were awesome.  Now I just need to figure out how to make nacho cheese!

One of my first bagels.  My ceramic Chinese cat, Lucky,  provides some moral support.

If I can't go down south, I'll bring The South to me.  You can't ever go wrong with pecan pie.  After the wild goose chase to find Karo syrup (available only at health stores (!), IGA and USA foods) and the crazy hunt for a pie tin/glass (I found a pie glass at the Lebanese corner market, of all places!) the pie tasted that much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment