Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas: Aussie-style

Christmas in Australia is pretty similar to Christmas in other Anglo-cultures around the world.  There are church services, family get-togethers, Santa, presents (also called "prezzies" in Aus-speak), etc.
The major differences are the weather and season.  Personally, I enjoy Christmas during the summer... Long days, hot weather, what is not to love? I'm told that an Australian tradition is a picnic/barbie on the beach.  Love it!
Our Christmas (which is now coming to a close as I type this) was pretty great.  We left the Grampians (which is in the bush, translating to no mobile/internet service for days... this tidbit comes later, I'm not simply whinging) in the morning.  While on the road today and eventually receiving phone reception, my family called with the wonderful news that my new niece arrived several days ago.  She is such a beauty and I can't wait to meet her IRL!  It's times like these that it is rough to be an expat.
In Ballarat, we had an Indian lunch, then made our way to Melbourne just before a wicked thunderstorm with massive hailstones hit.  I figure that this storm is the closest thing we can get here to a snowstorm.  It's strange, but a good thunderstorm, complete with lightning, makes me feel comforted and cozy.  We had burritos for dinner (another creature comfort of home) and are now watching Christmas movies.
Anyway, onward to the pictures. Over the past few weeks I've been taking photos around Melbourne and within grocery stores to see what kind of eats are popular among Victorians for the holiday season.
Oh, and on a side note... Australia doesn't have Black Friday.  I have been informed by several of my Australian compatriots that Boxing Day (that's December 26) is the biggest shopping day of the year.  I'm now noticing all the adverts on the telly for sales beginning at 5 am tomorrow.  Tempting!
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Some views around the city and "Christmas Square"









Big red bow around a eucalyptus tree





Flinders Street Station getting into the spirit of things

Christmas puddings! 


These cakes were in many stores around town.  I assume they are an Italian tradition. (Aussies, as usual, feel free to correct me if I am wrong!)


Stacey did a good job educating me on this one.  Christmas Crackers, like cricket and milky tea, are apparently popular in all Commonwealth countries.  Inside the middle cylinder, there lies a small present.  One child holds one end and the other child holds the other end.  The children pull their respective side and the cylinder cracks open and the prize is released.


2 comments:

  1. You are right on Pannetone (I dislike it, also Stollen - the German equivalent). Crackers are great fun. It wasn't until Jay mentioned it about the US not having them that I thought about it more. Also inside the cracker (along with the plastic toy) are a tissue paper crown, and a piece of paper with a selection of truly abysmal jokes. The kind of jokes that your 2nd grader might tell you. I can't remember the best one from yesterday, but there was one good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw a Christmas Cracker, my American mind took over. I initially thought, "Why would someone want crackers (like Ritz, Cruskits, etc.) for a gift?" Then I remembered, "Oh yeah! Those things are not really called 'crackers' here!" Cultural assimilation moment!

    ReplyDelete