Monday, September 19, 2011

Just another day at the office


Hey guys… I’m still here.  Just really busy.

School, in particular, is starting to hit full-on. (In other words, it’s pretty intense.)

The university I attend is one of Australia’s “Group of Eight,” which is network of universities that are notoriously rigorous.  Believe me, I have my days when I wonder why I took on such a challenging program at an arduous institution.  Sometimes the learning can get pretty overwhelming, but I am beginning to see much of this newfound knowledge come to fruition, which feels pretty great.  Sometimes feeling frustrated and anxious and confused at times can be a good thing.  It provides space to learn and grow as a person.  Maybe I’m becoming more mature?  Peter Pan is growing up!  Maybe I’ll even consider settling down in a few years…

Today, I turned in my first two assignments. It felt good that I could complete those assignments, especially since I haven’t turned a research paper in for nearly a decade!  I’ll turn in my last assignment in on November 7th.  My program appears to be about 80% research, so self-motivation is essential.

Thankfully, I have a desk (a cubicle, actually) on the seventh floor of one of the graduate school’s brand new buildings, which is a perfect place to work.  It’s quiet, sunny and boasts fabulous views of the city.  Plus, my thesis supervisor, who I absolutely love, is just fifty feet away.  I even have my own “special” key card, which grants me access through the security doors.  You know what you are thinking… I am pretty fancy!  It’s so nice to have this space. 

The library and the computer labs are practically unbearable, with so many obnoxious undergraduates chatting away on their mobiles or meeting up with large groups of friends, gossiping away.  Yeah, I realize that I sound pretty crotchety.  It’s probably because I am.   Seriously though, my doctoral program is so much more difficult than other programs that I have taken.  I need to be able to stay focused and concentrate.

So, yeah… busy busy busy!  If you don't hear from me in awhile, you now know why.  Back to work… xo

The desk

The views!


2 comments:

  1. You are pretty fancy!
    P.S. Your cube needs a photo of me and one of Richard Simmons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call, Nads! You are correct.

    ReplyDelete