Friday, May 6, 2011

I just think these next few months are going to be really hard for me

I was just thinking the other day about how I haven't fully grasped this concept of leaving.
Truly, I haven't even wrapped my brain around it.  It feels a world away, yet it's coming up in about 10 weeks (again, haven't purchased that plane ticket just yet.)  J told me a couple of days ago that he just feels ready and is itching to leave now-now.  I don't have that itch.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally excited and cannot wait to return.  I just think these next few months are going to be really hard for me.  Because I love lists (this goes along with the anal retentiveness, I'm pretty sure), that's what you'll be getting.

Top Reasons It'll Be Oh-So-Hard To Go

Leaving friends and family in the United States This will be the most difficult thing.  I think about how life will go on without me (and I mean this in the least narcissistic way possible!) and I'll be left with bits and pieces of memories that I wasn't there to be a part of.  For example, my first Christmas home after studying abroad in 2001, my cousin was trying to jog my memory about when her, her sister, and her father came to Minnesota for a camping trip.  They went on and on about details of the trip and started to tease me because I couldn't "remember" [okay, now I will be deliberately narcissistic here and mention that I have a pretty awesome memory] their visit.  Eventually, feeling like I was losing my mind, I interjected, "When did you come to visit?"  My cousin's reply was "The second week in June!"  To which I replied, "Yeah, I wasn't even in the country.  I was still in Australia."  Oh, will anyone miss me when I'm gone?!?

Minneapolis  This city has been my home for the past fourteen years... nearly half of my life! I went to school here, I met my husband here, I've made a home here, et. al.  I really love my neighborhood too.  I already feel bummed that I won't be able to wake up on Sundays and walk to the end of the block to my favorite brunch spot, Grand Cafe, and order eggs en coquette (without the ham).  J and I won't be able to walk to the Lyn-Lake neighborhood to grab a beer outside at Bryant-Lake Bowl.  We can't just hop on our bikes to go around the Chain of Lakes (or better yet, bike to Cafe 128 near Lake Harriet for a jalapeno albacore tuna melt or head over a couple of blocks to the amazing Sunday Kingfield Farmer's Market) .  The list goes on and on.  And yes, to answer your question, I'd love to have some cheese with my whine (just as long as the cheese is Australian cheddar and the w(h)ine is Shiraz, hey?)

My job  To say I enjoy my job is an understatement.  I psychotically LOVE my job more than words can express... Being a primary school teacher really is my dream job.  "My sweet babies" crack me up every single day with their (often unintentionally) funny antidotes and really inspire me to do my best (in every avenue of my life) when I am a witness to how hard they work and their joy of learning and love of the simple things (seriously, these kids clap when I announce that it's lunchtime... shouldn't we all be so fortunate to love the small things in life that much?).  I feel like being out of the classroom for three years is going to kill me... that's how much I love teaching.  I'll also take this moment to give some love to my school.  I have the best coworkers and principal imaginable.  Every day, I honestly think to myself, this is how all schools, or all work environments, for that matter, should operate.   I don't mean to gush, I just feel so incredibly blessed to work in such an amazing school.  As I type this and pontificate leaving my school, my throat gets that hard lump and I feel the tears well up.  June 10th (my last day of work) is going to be unimaginable for me.  I must remember to bring Kleenex and leave the mascara at home.  Damn, this is going to be even harder than I thought.


My apartment  We live in this completely darling, 1920's art-deco building.  It's a super-quiet (with the exception of the annoying neighbor next door who thinks she's Christina Aguilera on Rock Band II everyday from 7pm-10pm), super-clean building.  Actually, our specific apartment is up on the website.  Take a look!

http://www.stutsmanrealtyinc.com/3715_Grand

Our landlord asked our permission to use photos of our apartment because he knew that I kept a clean and tidy apartment.  I still beam about that comment... I love  it when others recognize my anal retentiveness!  Anyway, am getting off-track...

Did you happen to notice the Australian flag and the boomerang in the photo of the living room?

My shoes  I'll have to get rid of most and leave some behind.  I hope those left behind don't get all jealous of the shoes that are coming with me.  For sure, I am bringing both pairs of Camper boots, my black Juicy Couture ballet flats, and my gladiator sandals.  Beyond that, I am not totally sure.  I do happen to know that it'll be an arduous and painful process.  Don't even get me started on choosing handbags that will get to go with me... this will surely give me a stroke.

Mexican food Americans don't even realize how good we've got it with this one.  Whenever I've visited a Mexican restaurant on another continent (and I've tried Mexican food on six continents, mind you) to say it's a disappointment is an understatement.  I've been in places where Old El Paso is considered palatable (or even delicious!) salsa.  Most amusing burrito ever?  Nha Trang, Vietnam.  There were lo mein noodles inside the burrito accompanying the rice and veggies.  J had an idea to create/drive a taco truck through the streets of Melbourne.  I kinda like this idea.  I would like to see that giant truck master a hook turn, over the tram tracks.  I wonder if we could start the first Chipotle franchise in Australia?  I shouldn't despair too much though... I'll still most likely be able to garner decent tequila, which would definitely serve as a distraction if the Mexican cuisine totally stinks.

Speaking of gastronomy... here's a list (within a list!) of foods that you can either a) exclusively find in America or b) only find a decent version of, in America: root beer [Side Bar: I've never met a non-American that likes root beer... most non-Americans seem to think it tastes like medicine], ranch salad dressing, ice in abundance (luckily for me, this is easy to make), Dairy Queen (although randomly enough, I did see a DQ at the Siem Reap airport in Cambodia... the only non-U.S. location I've ever witnessed), maple syrup, Reese's peanut butter cups (or even tasty peanut butter for that matter), wild rice, Chicago deep-dish pizza, pecan pie (Southern tearoom versions ONLY), salt bagels, and half-and-half.  I'm hoping I can find some yummy facon (faux bacon), otherwise, I just may need to start eating meat again.


The Convenience Factor  What?  You mean grocery stores actually CLOSE?  I can't swing by Target at 4:00 am during Christmas season? I don't have eighty different boxes of cereal to choose from?!?  As stupid as it sounds, I've not only grown accustomed to the convenience factor, but I've actually grown to liking it.  However, that said, I think it'll actually be good for me to get away from it.  It'll be hard to not really on Amazon.com either... shipping to Australia doesn't seem to exist.  At least I've got my e-reader though... The Kindle store is gonna lurrrrve me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment