Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Grampians

After visiting the marvelous Great Ocean Road, we headed inland right before Christmas to visit Grampians National Park.  The Grampians are a small sandstone mountain range.  The area provides amazing day hikes, complete with waterfalls and plenty of animals.

The view heading into Halls Gap, a small town in the heart of the Grampians

I love the (mostly) arid landscape of this continent.  I've noticed while living here that I drink/need more water than I did back in Minneapolis.  It's got little to do with elevation, since Melbourne is basically at sea-level.  I think it's got everything to do with the dryness of the land.  I love this climate because I find it fascinating that so much flora and fauna can exist and evolve in such harsh conditions.

Our first hike: Off to the Pinnacle.
You'll notice the burnt trees, which are remnants of a bushfire.  While in the Grampians, we noticed many signs warning visitors that it was bushfire season.  Additionally, when you turn on the television, you can't go fifteen minutes without seeing a PSA (Public Service Announcement) for creating an emergency exit plan in case of a bushfire.
[Random side note: Speaking of advertisements on Australian television, this is what I have gathered: 1/3 are PSAs, 1/3 are spokespeople hawking products, 1/6 are informercials (such as Genie Bra and its competitor, the Ah Bra) and 1/6 are actually cleverly done and interesting.  I guess when you live in a place with such a small population, there are less products to sell and therefore, less competition in the marketplace to sell them, so there is no need for fancy commercials.]


A view of Lake Bellfield





I love yoga... but I must say that on this 90 degree F day (compounded by the lack of an an ozone layer- 90 degrees F here feels like 105 degrees F in most places around the world) those rocks were HOT on my bare soles!



Labyrinth-like rock face





Some views from the top




He can't be bothered to act whimsical, but at least he tolerates my continuous playful nature.

I love parrots!  They are everywhere (even in the city) but I still never get sick of them flying around.


Hello, wallaby!

Wallabies grazing alongside cattle.



Some random male kangaroo we encountered during an arvo (afternoon) walk.


Day Two in the Grampians
The view from another lookout.





The mermaid




Laughing Kookaburra






MacKenzie Falls






Hello, echidna!



So Hemi (Southern Hemisphere) Christmas!

It's a mob!



I see somebody's foot sticking out of a pouch!








2 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blog - it makes me more excited to come and visit!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete